WC Map 2015

WC Map 2015
O̶c̶e̶a̶n̶i̶a̶ ̶I̶n̶s̶i̶g̶n̶i̶a̶'̶s̶ ̶A̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶W̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ ̶C̶r̶u̶i̶s̶e̶ ̶M̶a̶p̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶5̶ Or not...

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Vienna, Austria

Sunday, October 4, 2015


I had a great nap yesterday afternoon. I spent part of the afternoon with the window wall open and saw jets landing over the Danube at Vienna’s airport. I was amazed at the miles of fishing shacks and cabins lining the banks with big Chinese-style fishing nets. I wonder what they catch with those nets?  If there is some seasonal fish run they use them for? I got dressed when I thought I could see that we were approaching the newest lock below Vienna. I was premature but stayed out front and up top until just before dinner as we were exiting the lock. It was different technology than we had seen before. We couldn’t see the water source filling the lock and there was a rotary gate at the upper end. It had traditional swing gates at the lower end. I love locks! I believe Simona said this one raised us 12 meters. I believe she also said there were something like over 60 locks between Budapest and Amsterdam.

Dinner was Viennese. It was good there was a pumpkin terrine appetizer with ham that was quite tasty. The soup was so-so. The Wiener schnitzel was pork with potatoes and was quite good. They served a Gruner Veltliner with it so I was happy. Tomorrow is supposed to be a Viennese buffet dinner. I don’t know what that will entail. We’ll see. We have a very long and full day tomorrow.

For unknown reasons, we didn’t sleep too well last night. I don’t know why because we got to dock alone last night without any extra boats tied alongside. The alarm woke Clay this morning. I had been more or less awake for the previous 2 hours and just resting. We found the Internet wifi was down this morning. The front desk was supposed to get an IT guy out of bed to get it back up but it is 1pm now and it is still down. Hopefully, it will be back up soon. We had a morning bus and walking tour. I am so glad that we spent extra time in Budapest and had spent nearly a week here before because we aren’t getting much of an experience through the river cruise. How are you going to experience central Vienna in a couple of hours? On Sunday morning! We left this dock well North of central Vienna at 8:15am. It was 8:30am before we started driving because it took that long to walk past all the other docked river boats to reach where the buses could park. Then they had to drive down one at a time to turn around and then leave in a crowded single lane. We drove for a long time before we reached the area where we passed a couple of dozen other riverboats docked during dinner last night. They weren’t too far from the Prater. I am sure it was after 9am before we saw the Ring road. Our first stop was about 20 minutes to walk to the Hundertwasser House and back to the bus. I bought a patch there and Clay smashed a 2 cent Euro coin. We learned today why there are Hundertwasser toilets in a remote part of the North Island of New Zealand. The artist/architect wanted to be buried there and was. I guess he also took the time to design some public toilets but the guide didn’t mention that. We drove around and then the bus dropped us in front of the Albertina. We had an hour. She guided us to Stephansdom and gave us about 30 minutes of free time. Nothing was open but souvenir shops and coffee shops and church was in service. We still peaked inside. Clay bought some Mozartkugels in the subway and saved 3 Euros over the price from the souvenir shops above. I bought a Starbucks mug near the Lipizzaners’ stables. We bought a red and a white Sturm from a stand set up outside the basilica. I liked the red better! Then we realized how big the servings were and how much time we had left and we bought a big pretzel to share too. I asked the guide and she claimed that Must was the first press and just juice with no alcohol (but I am sure I was drunk on it before) and that Sturm is after 3 days of fermentation with a little alcohol. It was really good in either event. We were back to the ship by noon for lunch. We didn’t even check the restaurant this time. We just went right to the lounge for the light buffet. They had spicy fried noodles and Alfredo rotini. I am going to regret eating pasta for lunch every day! I told Clay that 3 out of 3 is a miracle and I am sure to run into something I won’t eat there soon. We leave for our afternoon Schonbrunn Palace tour at 2pm. We should be back by 5:30pm. Dinner is an Austrian buffet from 6 to 8pm. We leave again at 7:15pm for a bus transfer to the Sound of Vienna concert in the cheap seats at the Kursalon. We are expected to be back aboard by 10:30pm and the boat sails at midnight for Durnstein.

5:30pm and back from Schonbrunn tour. It took 45 minutes driving each way to get there and get back so it was a quick tour. You’d have hated for this to be your time in Vienna! You’d have thought that at least they would have arranged to pick up the people who wanted to stay in town from the morning for the afternoon tour, but no. After Bratislava and Vienna, I am very happy I guess that most of these places coming up we’ve already been. I’m also prepared for disappointment in visiting some of the places in France that we’ve never been. I don’t remember feeling like port time was this short on other river cruises before. You can’t see anything of a major city in a couple of hours!

Internet is still out or the wifi is anyway. It sounds like they have no hope of restoring it at this point, so I’ll keep typing up these notes, but I have no idea when these entries might get posted to the blog. Sorry. No Internet access is inconvenient for us too.

We enjoyed the Kursalon entertainment last night. They had a small 12 piece orchestra with a male and a female singer and a male and a female ballet dancer. The singers and dancers never performed together and some songs were just the musicians. It was lively. They played about 50 minutes then had a 15 minute intermission where they provided a glass of either orange juice, bad champagne or water and restrooms, then part 2 lasted about the same amount of time. We were back onboard Amadeus Silver II by 10:30pm. I think we sailed around 11:30pm. We were well under way when I got up to look at midnight. The weird thing is that a number of people took off at various points in the day to get a chance to spend some quality time in Vienna. It was a good idea since we spent the bulk of our day busing back and forth 3 times! But Simona said on day one that departure times were rigid and inflexible, to know before you leave or they’ll leave you if you’re 5 minutes late. The program said departure/all aboard was midnight. When we returned in the morning, they had out 2 signs that said 10:30pm. Now keep in mind that at least half our bus did not come back on the bus this morning! After lunch, the signs had been changed and said 11:30pm. Still the people who stayed in town are working form the midnight time in the program! I hope they left after the last passengers reboarded! So much for departure times being rigid though. If they change the time and announce and post it after you have left the boat I don’t know how you can be responsible for being on time or late!

It is Monday morning and still no Internet.